Adak Eagle's Call
The Adak island weekly newsletter. You probably tossed away
piles of the things, so did I. The earlier ones were more artistic
I think; back when Louise Weaver was the artist (and, sometimes,
so was I) decorating the back page. Then came the computer; easy
to make words, and artists became almost extinct.
Each issue will be available in two resolutions; 200 dpi fullpage
greyscale (large, but captures fine detail), and half-size which
is better for online viewing.
Adak Eagles Call, 18 November 1988 Volume 13, Issue 47.
Volume 13, Issue 45, November 4, 1988. 28
pages. Scanned by Michael Gordon (2/2001).
High Resolution GIF
images start here (typically 1600 pixels wide)
Medium Resolution JPEG
images start here (typically 800 pixels wide)
- Weekend fire destroys MWR cabin. Road construction.
- Letters to the editor: Let's fix the road to NSGA and Control
- From the C.O.: Adak Volunteers are the spirit of success.
Chaplain Gibson: World Series.
- Adak Stars: Comptroller Division wins awards. Marines recognized
for good work.
- Dressing properly for the tundra; by John Triol. (Excellent
- Dressing properly (continued). Halloween children costumes
- More Halloween children.
- Last minute voting info. School chooses new head. Hospital
billing explained. Health benefits open season.
- Adak Sports Highlights: NFL's second half starts with Sunday's
action. Standings from the Kuluk. (Kuluk gym).
- From the Wild Side: Anthropocentric vs Sentientism vs. Biocentric
vs. Holistic. (Guess which one the author of the article prefers)
- Recreation Report. Morale, Welfare and Recreation Department.
- Kuluk bowling and Library reports.
- Husky club lunch advertisement.
- Movie schedule.
- TV Guide
- TV Guide
- Publisher's Corner: Complaint about how we answer the phones.
Tundra Tavern menu. Kuluk holiday hours.
- Classifieds. (You kinda need the huge page to read it, but
your friends -- or even you -- might be listed here!)
- Voter Info: Michael Dukakis
- Voter Info: Lloyd Bentsen
- Voter Info: George Bush
- Voter Info: Dan Quayle
- Voter Info: Peter Gruenstein
- Voter Info: Don Young
- Voter Info: Fred Zharoff
- Voter Info: George Jacko
- Voter Info: Daniel James O'Hara
- Vote Date Reminder: November 8th.
Volume 14, Issue 3, January 20, 1989. 20
Pages. Scanned by Michael Gordon.
Resolution JPEGs for Online Viewing (about 1/4 megabyte
Resolution GIFs for detailed viewing or printing (about
2 megabytes each page)
- Page 1: Shipp named all-Alaska SOY (Sailor of Year); Recently
frocked 3rd Class Petty Officers.
- Page 2: Submit damage claim forms; Think twice about marriage.
Pregnancy testing available.
- Page 3: Milk prices compared. Birth Announcements.
- Page 4: PSD Announces SOQ, SOY. Adak Sportsmans Association
notes.VP-48 Opens new admin spaces. ADP receives awards from
- Page 5: ASWOC picks Hill as SOY.
- Page 6: VP-48: 21 Years of Mishap-Free Flying. Adak Stars:
promotions list. NOCD (Naval Oceanographic Command Detachment,
the "weather guessers") News.
- Page 7: An Inside Look at NAS Galleys.
- Page 8: Suggestions for treatment of vomiting. Family Service
Center News and program schedule.
- Page 9: Chaplain Gibson: It's only a rock (the Adak Message
Rock). New computers at PSD.
- Page 10: Adak Sports Highlights.
- Page 11: From the Wild Side: Oil Spills.
- Page 12: Tundray Stomper, Chasing Ducks at Daybreak.
- Page 13: MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) Department
- Page 14: Adak restaurant menus.
- Page 15: Movie Schedule.
- Page 16: Radio Schedule.
- Page 17-18: TV Guide.
- Page 19: Puffin Child Care Center; Tundra Tavern pretend-advertisement.
- Page 20: Classified Ads.
Volume 14, Issue 5, February 3, 1989.
20 Pages. Scanned by Michael
Resolution JPEGs for Online Viewing
Resolution GIFs for detailed viewing or printing
- Page 1: Masthead and two articles; storm conditions and Soviet
- Page 2: Garbage 'n other stuff
- Page 3: Barge Contract, Moving company open for business,
higher octane gasoline to be sold, road condition instruction
- Page 4: School Board Recall Election. Interesting opinion
pieces on the recall of the school board.
- Page 5: Marine of the Year
- Page 6-7: Triple Nickel; Black History article
- Page 8: Flouride for teeth, medical insurance for sailors
getting out, FSC workshop.
- Page 9: Chaplain Brown, "Reduced To Ashes" (Catholic).
Church Meeting Schedules.
- Page 10: Family Service Center News
- Page 11: Adak sports highlights.
- Page 12: From the Wildside; Aleutian history
- Page 13-14: Recreation Report from Morale, Welfare and Recreation
- Page 15: Dining guide to Adak restaurants
- Page 16: Movie Guide
- Page 17-18: Adak TV Guide
- Page 19: Adak Births
- Page 20: Classifieds. See this page for names of people
you might know.
Back to Adak Homepage